- Paints and coatings
- Furniture and upholstery
- Flooring materials
- Cleaning products
- Air fresheners
- Personal care products
Off-gassing is the release of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from products and materials in our homes. VOCs are chemicals that can evaporate at room temperature, and they can have negative health effects when we breathe them in. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the dangers of off-gassing in our homes and what steps you can take to reduce your exposure to VOCs.
Reducing your exposure to VOCs in your home can help protect you and your family from the negative health effects of off-gassing. Here are some steps you can take to reduce your exposure to VOCs:
- Choose low-VOC products: When purchasing new products for your home, choose products that are labelled as low-VOC or no-VOC. These products have lower levels of VOCs than traditional products.
- Air out new products: When you bring new products into your home, such as furniture or carpeting, air them out before using them. Open windows and doors to allow fresh air to circulate.
- Use natural cleaning products: Avoid using harsh chemical cleaning products that can off-gas VOCs. Instead, use natural cleaning products, such as vinegar and baking soda.
- Increase ventilation: Increase ventilation in your home by opening windows and using exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchens. This can help reduce the concentration of VOCs in the air.
- Use an air purifier: Use an air purifier with a HEPA filter to help remove VOCs from the air.
Off-gassing is a real danger in our homes, and exposure to VOCs can have negative health effects. By taking steps to reduce your exposure to VOCs, such as choosing low-VOC products, airing out new products, using natural cleaning products, increasing ventilation, and using an air purifier, you can protect yourself and your family from the negative health effects of off-gassing.